Tuesday, October 12, 2004



Quiet Coyote, on the loose*
I've been meaning to blog about the Quiet Coyote for a few weeks, now, only to be scooped by both flea and Eric Zorn. Here's the real story.

A few weeks ago, I went to dinner at Bat Girl's. On that particular evening, it was just BG, a small friend, and me. As is fairly typical, BG and I were talking about who-knows-what at some length. The small friend wanted our attention. She tried interrupting us (pretty darn politely, I might add). Then she tried speaking a bit more loudly. Finally, she'd had enough. She flashed us the Quiet Coyote.

I responded with a raised eyebrow. BG responded with [gasp!] the Quiet Coyote. So, she got the eyebrow, too. And I was schooled in the hand signal which seems to be sweeping the Upper Midwest, if not the nation. The Quiet Coyote lets everyone in the room know that it's time to pipe down and pay attention. Rustling of papers, shifting in one's chair, and chatting with one's neighbor must all stop when the Quiet Coyote appears.

The church soiree to which flea accompanied me happened to be the day afterI was introduced to Quiet Coyote. About 30 minutes and at least a glass-and-a-half of wine (for me) after flea arrived, this person from my congregation was rambling on at some length about something. Frankly, I'd had enough. flea was in the house! I wanted to chat with her, I wanted to dance, I wanted to hang out with my friends and have fun and boisterous times. I did not want to hear this person yammering on endlessly.

So I flashed the woman the Quiet Coyote, rather stealthily. And the table got into it a little bit. Pretty soon we were all grooving on the hand signal, flea adopted it and promised to teach it to little flea and wee flea, and before I knew it bloggers far and wide (okay, two. And only in Chicago. But still.) were founding Institutes based on the intrigue of Quiet Coyote.

I'm telling you, the small friends are going to change this world. You just wait.

*Nods to L Daddyzine for the turn of phrase. And thanks to BG for the photo (I've already thanked her for dinner, just so you know.)

Posted by Hello

12 comments:

flea said...

Excellent!

(On a technical note, instead of linking Eric, you linked me twice)

She said...

AHA! My mind is at ease. Now If I just knew the story behind the Porch of Death, I'd be all up to date and cool and stuff.

Krupskaya said...

This rocks. Now, is it pronounced "ki-oat" or "ki-OH-tee"?

frog said...

Krup, when I'm on the family land, it's "ki-oat" (sort of). Everywhere else, including in QC's name, "it's ky-oh-tee."

flea, thanks for the heads up on the link.

CarpeDM said...

Yeah! What is with that Porch of Death?

nappi said...

so, i can use this in my weekly two hour staff meeting to get people to shut up?

flea said...

Nappi, not only will we allow it, but we encourage it!

Anonymous said...

I learned that signal in college, as the Coyote of Silence. (We also developed the Weasel of Stillness, the Moose of General Hilarity, the Gila Monster of Society, the Porcupine of Desuetude, and of course, the Unicorn of Aggression.)

bread and roses

frog said...

b&r, I'm certain that a series of photos is in order. You send 'em, I'll post 'em.

betsyl said...

see, among my people, that's not quiet coyote, that's anubis. and anubis does not signal a need for quietude.

(however, since my people have recently started breeding, quiet coyote might prove to be more useful than, say, anubis having eaten a lemon.)

Zoe said...

That is definitely Anubis.

frog said...

b&r, the Unicorn of Aggression was the topic of a lively post-lunch discussion today. I blame you for this, as well as for the public silliness that ensued as we attempted to come up with variations on the Quiet Coyote. It's possible that Smoochy Coyote could be a keeper. Time will tell.